Sunday 29 March 2015

Our Guilty Pleasures

Recommend Article Article Comments Print Article
Everyone has a guilty pleasure or two. Some even have more than one or two guilty pleasures, but I've never met anyone who didn't have at least one guilty pleasure, even if it was only thinking about it.
For me, it used to be chocolate hot fudge ice cream sundaes. Ah, yes, I can still remember those days when the whipped cream was piled high on top of the thick, hot fudge and the nuts sat on top of the mountain of whipped cream. On rare occasions it was a banana split but I still had to have my hot fudge and whipped cream on top of the ice cream with some nuts sprinkled over all of it.
I wasn't a big fan of the maraschino cherries but if I was by myself, I ate it anyway. If I was with a friend, I gave it to my friend. I drool just thinking about those sundaes. I no longer have them but I can almost feel guilty just thinking about them.
Guilty pleasures come in many forms. It can be sleeping late when you should be working. Or it can be driving too fast because you love the feel of speeding, and praying that you aren't stopped by the police. It can also be going away for a weekend because you're feeling frazzled, and asking your parents to keep the kids for a couple of days. It can also be taking a long, hot shower when your water bills are too high or when there's a drought.
Everyone should have a guilty pleasure that they indulge in every so often. It satisfies the rebellious streak without getting you into too much trouble.
Of course, like all guilty pleasures, they should only be used when you really need to indulge yourself. If it's used on a daily basis, it won't feel special and you won't feel particularly bad. And, of course, if you're going to indulge in a guilty pleasure, you should feel at least a little bad.
I used to love the wicked feeling I got from eating a chocolate hot fudge ice cream sundae, knowing that I'd have to diet rigorously the rest of the week. Of course, if my clothing was already a little tight, I'd have to decide if being bad was worth having to live in a nudist colony or run naked through the jungle until I lost enough weight to get into my clothes.
Connie H. Deutsch is an internationally known business consultant and personal advisor who has a keen understanding of human nature and is a natural problem-solver.
Connie is the author of the books, "Whispers of the Soul," "A Slice of Life," "Whispers of the Soul for the Rest of Your Life," "From Where I'm Sitting," "View from the Sidelines," "Reaching for the Brass Ring of Life," "Purple Days and Starry Nights," "Here and There," "And That's How it Goes," and "The Counseling Effect." Her website: http://www.conniehdeutsch.com/ See more of her articles by clicking here ConnieHDeutsch Articles

No comments:

Post a Comment