Sunday 29 March 2015

The Benefits of Daydreaming

Recommend Article Article Comments Print Article
Many years ago, I read a book that talked about psychic ability being linked to imagination and daydreaming. When I came across those words I thought that this would probably eliminate me as a candidate because I have always been a very focused person.
Give me something that consumes my interest, and everything else is swept aside. I remember once sitting in my kitchen and doing a layout for a flyer that I was designing and I had a frozen pizza in the microwave. Instead of setting the timer at 3 minutes and 50 seconds, I had set it at 35 minutes.
I never saw the black smoke curling around the kitchen or enveloping me. All I saw was the layout of the flyer I was designing. That was focus. It left no room for daydreaming.
What I came to discover in later years, after my kitchen almost burned to the ground, was that in my own way, I was daydreaming and using my creativity on the flyer at the same time that I was so focused on the layout.
I had never thought of myself as being a daydreamer because so much of my life is reality-based, living in the real world, living in the moment.
It was only in later years that I realized that people can daydream when they are not concentrating hard on getting an answer, and in that daydream state, can come up with solutions to just about any problem. They can also come up with the kind of thinking that is described as thinking outside the box.
So what does this tell us about the way we educate our children? To my way of thinking, there should be certain times of the day that children are encouraged to think about how to solve problems, the daydreaming phase, and the rest of the time to try to solve the problems they were working on.
Some of our best ideas come to us in dreams or as we're waking up from a nap or from a night's sleep. Kubla Khan, a poem written by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, is a perfect example of that. Upon waking up from an opium influenced dream, he set about writing the famous poem that came to him from his dream.
We might never be talented enough to write about Coleridge's Xanadu, but we all have the ability to tap into the creativity of our daydreams.
Connie H. Deutsch is an internationally known business consultant and personal advisor who has a keen understanding of human nature and is a natural problem-solver.
Connie is the author of the books, "Whispers of the Soul," "A Slice of Life," "Whispers of the Soul for the Rest of Your Life," "From Where I'm Sitting," "View from the Sidelines," "Reaching for the Brass Ring of Life," "Purple Days and Starry Nights," "Here and There," "And That's How it Goes," and "The Counseling Effect." Her website: http://www.conniehdeutsch.com/ See more of her articles by clicking here ConnieHDeutsch Articles

No comments:

Post a Comment